Jump to content

NFL Executive Denies Adrian Peterson’s Appeal


All-Pro running back Adrian Peterson’s appeal of a league suspension for a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy has been denied. Peterson's appeal was heard by former NFL executive Harold Henderson last week in Washington, D.C. Henderson was appointed by commissioner Roger Goodell as arbitrator to hear the sides' cases and issue a ruling. In upholding the NFL’s initial ruling, Henderson concluded that Peterson "has not demonstrated that the process and procedures surrounding his discipline were not fair and consistent." He wrote: "He was afforded all the protections and rights to which he is entitled, and I find no basis to vacate or reduce the discipline."

Peterson said in a phone interview, "I feel like they're handling the situation absolutely wrong," he said. "I think I've been made an example out of. It kind of baffles me how -- I have nothing but love for Ray Rice, I'm happy he has the chance to play. But it's like, how did Ray Rice get reinstated before me, a team has a chance to pick him up, but I don't have the opportunity to come back until April. When has that happened in any other case in the NFL, ever?" Peterson said he has considered retiring. He also said he will appeal the decision in federal court. "I don't really know," he said when asked whether he thought the decision to pursue legal action would delay his reinstatement. "That's something I have to sit back and talk to my team about. I haven't talked to anyone today. To this point, any type of process with the NFL is not the way to go. It's a business; the outcome is going to be in their favor no matter what. Did they appoint Harold Henderson to Ray Rice's case? No. They knew the situation and the facts about that case and what was going to come out. They clearly wanted to get an arbitrator that would rule in their favor." According to a person with direct knowledge of the situation, a lawsuit will be filed against the NFL on Peterson's behalf in federal court in Minnesota as early as Monday. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the lawsuit had not yet been filed.

"The NFLPA expected this outcome, given the hearing officer's relationship and financial ties to the NFL," the union's statement read. "The decision itself ignores the facts, the evidence and the collective bargaining agreement. This decision also represents the NFL's repeated failure to adhere to due process and confirms its inconsistent treatment of players. Our union is considering immediate legal remedies." Peterson, the 2012 NFL MVP, hasn't played for the Minnesota Vikings since Week 1 after he was charged with child abuse in Texas. He was placed on paid leave while the legal process played out, and he pleaded no contest Nov. 4 to misdemeanor reckless assault for injuring his 4-year-old son with a wooden switch. He avoided jail time by reaching the plea deal.

On Nov. 18, Peterson was suspended without pay by Goodell for at least the rest of the season. He will remain suspended and won't be considered for reinstatement before April 15, though he will get to keep the money accrued while on the exempt list. However, Peterson will not serve a three-game suspension at the start of the 2015 season as was initially reported. Rather, he will be charged three additional game checks on this season's salary for a total of six games. Peterson will have the choice of paying the salary back now, or having his wages garnished in 2015 if he plays. The docked game checks are based on this year's salary of $11.75 million and amount to $4.15 million, game payments are based on 17 weeks, not 16 games.

"The facts in this appeal are uncontested," Henderson wrote. "The player entered a plea which effectively admitted guilt to a criminal charge of child abuse after inflicting serious injuries to his four-year old son in the course of administering discipline. No direct evidence of the beating was entered in the record here, but numerous court documents, investigative reports, photographs and news reports, all accepted into evidence without objection, make it clear that Mr. Peterson's conduct was egregious and aggravated as those terms are used in the Policy, and merits substantial discipline. "His public comments do not reflect remorse or appreciation for the seriousness of his actions and their impact on his family, community, fans and the NFL, although at the close of the hearing he said he has learned from his mistake, he regrets that it happened and it will never happen again. I reject the argument that placement in Commissioner Exempt status is discipline."

At the crux of the NFLPA's argument for reinstatement was what NFL executive vice president for football operations Troy Vincent told Peterson last month when the dispute was at its height. Vincent told Peterson he would receive a two-game ban if he attended a hearing on Nov. 14 with Goodell. Peterson declined to meet that day with Goodell, citing uncertainty about the NFL's intent to question him. Goodell then announced on Nov. 18 that Peterson would be suspended for the six games that remained for the Vikings at the time and not be considered for reinstatement until April. A recording and a transcript of what Vincent told Peterson was presented by the NFLPA to Henderson, who oversaw a hearing on Dec. 2. Peterson attended that and listened via telephone as the hearing continued Dec. 4, when Vincent was questioned.



    • The CW announced today that Jane the Virgin has been renewed for a second season. The freshman dramedy is off to a decent start over the first half of its season. While not the breakout hit that the …
      • Midnight Man
    • NBC has cancelled Dracula, axing the new drama after one season. The show aired for a short 10-episode run during 2013-2014, but drew lackluster ratings over the course of the season. Dracula joins …
      • Midnight
    • Kirstie Alley has debuted a new body, again. The actress says she's dropped 50 pounds! Alley revealed her weight loss on Today, telling Matt Lauer that she kept her promise that she'd dropped the wei…
      • Midnight Man
    • The X-Files is an American science fiction horror drama television series created by Chris Carter. The program originally aired from September 10, 1993 to May 19, 2002 on Fox, spanning nine seasons a…
      • Midnight Man
    • Mistresses is an American mystery drama and soap opera television series based on the 2008–10 U.K. series of the same name, and it is being reported that the network has renewed it for a fourth seaso…
      • Midnight Man
    • Heh. "Suckers." When Trevino and co-star Candice Accola visited the Zap2it offices last week, I had to get the scoop - especially considering how Accola has been playing out Caroline's vampire transf…
      • Midnight
    • CBS announced today that Elementary has been renewed for a fifth season. The veteran procedural drama, which has remained a formidable entry in the network's lineup, will reach the 100-episode mile…
      • Midnight
    • HBO announced today that Silicon Valley has been renewed for a sixth season. The good news comes three week's into the the long-running comedy's fifth-season. Created by Mike Judge, the award-w…
      • Midnight
    • Word is out today that Arrow will be coming to an end after its upcoming eighth season. The action drama is the network's longest-running superhero-based series, with its success helping pave the w…
      • Midnight
    • NBC announced last week that Grimm has been renewed for a fourth season in 2014-2015. So far this season, the fantasy drama is ranking as the #1 Friday series among adults 18-49 on any of the big 4 n…
      • Midnight
    • The Queen Latifah show gets cancelled after its second season, it will continue with new episodes until March and the Queen is off the air. Is My Show Cancelled contributed to this article
      • Midnight Man
    • The Real World alum died on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 27, at age 29 after a night of partying. The autopsy proved inconclusive as to a cause of death. Knight was a castmate on the 2010 Real World New Or…
      • Midnight Man
    • The CW has cancelled The Tomorrow People after its first season. The sci-fi drama aired a full 22-episodes, but its initially strong ratings fell throughout the course of the season. The show aired …
      • Midnight
    • NBC has cancelled Harry's Law after two seasons on the air. The modestly-rated legal drama has long been considered on-the-bubble for earning a renewal past two seasons. The show will end after a tot…
      • Midnight
    • Read all about it here!
      • Midnight
    • ABC announced today that Nashville has been renewed for a second season. The news comes two weeks before the freshman drama wraps up its 21-episode first season on May 22. No details are available on…
      • Midnight
    • It is being reported that USA Network has cancelled Common Law. The freshman dramedy only lasted one season, airing 12 episodes between May and August 2012. (Source: TV Line)
      • Midnight
    • Teen Wolf is an American television series. It was announced at Comic-Con that the show has been renewed for a sixth season. The network has ordered another 20 episodes of the veteran supernatural dr…
      • Midnight Man
    • Downton Abbey is a British period drama television series. It first aired on ITV in the United Kingdom and Ireland on 26 September 2010 and on PBSin the United States on 9 January 2011 as part of the…
      • Midnight Man
    • Prosecutors say that while Lorenzo Gilyard was escaping detection as a serial killer for two decades, advances in DNA testing were being made that would eventually link him to seven women who were ki…
      • Midnight Man
    • A recent update on PostSecret, the addictive site where people anonymously share their secrets via postcard, claims that one of the male cast members of the Harry Potter movies is the unknowing fathe…
      • Midnight
    • It is being reported that Van Helsing has been renewed for a second season by Syfy. The freshman vampire hunting drama is just four episodes into its 13-episode debut run on the cable network, with…
      • Midnight
    • It is being reported that The CW has decided against continuing with Frequency, opting to cancel the new series after just one season. The news does not come as much of a surprise, as the show's 13…
      • Midnight
    • Grace and Frankie is an American comedy series on Netflix and the network has announced that it will be returning for a second season. The freshman comedy stars Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin as divorcee…
      • Midnight Man
    • Yoo Young-chul was born in 1970, in South Korea. His parents separated quickly soon after his birth and Yoo was raised along with his siblings by his grandmother for a few years until they moved in w…
      • Midnight Man
  • Upcoming Events

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use